The Regional English Language Office (RELO) at the U.S. Embassy Islamabad under the E-Teacher program is offering 25 scholarships to English language teaching professionals from Pakistan to participate in a eight-week online course.
- Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL)
When do the classes start?
Classes for the main course will begin from June 25, 2019. However, all participants will be required to complete a mandatory orientation course starting from May 20, 2019.
Who can apply?
- Be an in-service English language professional
- Have strong English language reading and writing skills (minimum 525 TOEFL, 70 iBT, or CEFR B2)
- Be a citizen of Pakistan
- Be living in Pakistan for the entire duration of the E-Teacher term
- Have regular and reliable access to high-speed internet connection
- Be able to spend 10 to 12 hours online each week for the duration of the 8-week course
Alumni of A-E online courses are ineligible to apply for this opportunity.
To apply, please fill in the online application and submit no later than 5 p.m. (Pakistan Standard Time) on March 15, 2019.
Online application can be found here: “Online Application” (<– click here)
If you have difficulty accessing the hyperlink mentioned above for online application, please visit https://goo.gl/forms/5AQiIJjzOZ4whD6M2
Questions? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +92 300 2008575
Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL)
Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) is exciting online course is designed to introduce you to the theory and practice of teaching English as a foreign language (EFL) to young learners 3-10 years old. Through engaging videos and practical readings, you will explore approaches for teaching English to children that are not only effective but also fun and engaging. You will learn techniques for teaching new vocabulary and grammar that encourage student participation. In addition, you will gain new ideas for teaching listening, speaking, reading and writing in a meaningful context. Through learner-centered activities and group discussions, you will have many opportunities to share ideas with peers and apply course content to your learning environment. Get ready to learn about TEYL and be part of an international learning community with teachers around the world!
Learning Objectives and Learner Outcomes
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- explain the reasons for teaching English as a foreign (EFL) language at early ages.
- use effective approaches and techniques appropriate for young learners in the EFL classroom.
- develop appropriate activities for teaching the vocabulary, grammar, and the four skills—listening, speaking, reading, and writing to young EFL learners.
- describe your learning environment and develop a lesson for young EFL learners in your context.
- apply best practices for TEYL to your local context through a classroom observation of a peer.
- develop yourself professionally in the field of TEYL by participating in an international online learning community and preparing an action plan or training plan to share your new knowledge and skills with other TEYL professionals in their local community.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Do I have to pay for the online course?
A: No! The scholarship covers tuition fee per participant of $600. These courses are funded by the Regional English Language Office at the U.S. Embassy Islamabad.
Q: How many scholarships are available?
A: 25 spots are available under this announcement for English teachers Pakistan
Q: Where will the classes be conducted?
A: The courses will be taught online. You must have access 4-5 times per week minimum to reliable computer with high-speed Internet.
Q: Will I have to spend specific hours per week to complete the online course?
A: You are expected to spend a minimum of 8-10 hours each week on coursework. These hours can be as per your own discretion.
Q: Do I have to possess a Master’s degree to be eligible for the course?
A: No! The minimum requirement is to be a practicing English language teacher and have high intermediate to advanced level English language proficiency in all skill areas, particularly reading and writing.
Q: Will I obtain a certificate after successfully completing the course?
A: Yes! Participants successfully completing the 8 week online course will be awarded certificates.