Are you an English teacher looking for professional development opportunities?
The Regional English Language Office at the U.S. Embassy and Evolution are pleased to offer ‘Transitioning to Teaching Language Online (TTLO)’. Course content will focus on many different facets of a successful online language program, such as creating community, experiencing being an online learner, time management strategies for teachers and students, choosing appropriate technology tools for communicative-based activities, and developing a variety of online activity types. In addition to exploring these aspects of teaching online, participants will see these concepts in action in model online language activities. By the end of the program, participants will have a portfolio of activities ready to be incorporated in an online program. By the end of the course, participants will have a portfolio of activities ready to use in their own online practice. Teachers will be awarded a certificate of completion upon finishing the course requirements.
When do the classes start?
January 3, 2019 – April 10, 2019
Who can apply?
- Be an experienced English language teacher (at least three years of experience) that currently teaches, or intends to teach, English language courses using online practices.
- Have strong English language reading and writing skills (minimum 525 TOEFL, 70 iBT, or CEFR B2).
- Be a citizen of Pakistan.
- Be living in Pakistan for the entire duration of the TTLO course.
- Have regular and reliable access to a high-speed internet connection.
- Be able to spend 8 to 10 hours online each week for the duration of the 8-week course.
Through the course you will:
- Experience being an online learner.
- Discover the differences between teaching in the classroom and teaching online.
- Apply guidelines, best practices, and readiness quizzes to prepare yourself and your students for working in an online environment.
- Participate in model language activities to see activities and tools in action.
- Evaluate your current syllabus to see how it can be adapted for online delivery.
- Test, create, and evaluate online tools and activities within the framework of the 3 communication modes.
This course was developed at the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA), University of Minnesota with funding from STARTALK.
Jan 3- 30
Feb 14- Mar 6
Mar 21 – Apr 10
TTLO course format and technology requirements
This course is delivered entirely online through an online course management system. You should expect to spend approximately 8-10 hours weekly on this course.
You will need an internet connection with a good, reliable connection in order to watch and create videos online. You will need a headset with microphone (or at least ear buds) and a webcam for your computer/laptop in order to participate fully in the course. All of the applications usedonline will be free or demonstration sites to try out activities.
To apply, please fill in the online application and submit no later than 5 p.m. (Pakistan Standard Time) on Monday, December 17, 2018.
The online application can be found here: “Online Application”
If you have difficulty accessing the hyperlink mentioned above for the online application, please visit https://goo.gl/nNCruF.
Questions? Contact us: email@example.com or +92 300 2008575
Q: Do I have to pay for the online course?
A: No! These courses are funded by the Regional English Language Office at the U.S. Embassy Islamabad.
Q: How many scholarships are available?
A: 25 spots are available under this announcement for English teachers in Pakistan.
Q: Where will the classes be conducted?
A: The courses will be taught online. You must have access 4-5 times per week minimum to a reliable computer with high-speed internet.
Q: Will I have to spend specific hours per week to complete the online course?
A: You are expected to spend a minimum of 8-10 hours each week on coursework.
Q: Do I have to possess a Master’s degree to be eligible for the course?
A: No! The minimum requirement is to be a practicing English language teacher and have high intermediate to advanced level English language proficiency in all skill areas, particularly reading and writing.
Q: Will I obtain a certificate after successfully completing the course?
A: Yes! Participants successfully completing the course will be awarded certificates.